We want Inverness to lead the way in making our streets and outdoors spaces safe, friendly, and lovely for walkers and cyclists of all ages, all incomes and all abilities, whatever their motivation.
Don’t miss the deadline for applying to the Cycling Scotland cycle friendly employer awards… November 12th… Read more about it under our blog and click here:
Who are we?
We are a grassroots campaign that aims to be a sensible, realistic, positive voice for Inverness active travel (walking, cycling, non-motorised and public transport).
What do we want?
We want to encourage local decision-makers to make the brave and bold changes that are needed to turn Inverness into a better and safer place to walk, cycle, roll or stroll, regardless of age, income or ability.
We want to help turn Inverness into a beacon city where a fair community, the environment and our legacy to the next generation are what matter to us.
What might that look like?
Better city infrastructure for walking and cycling
- More pedestrianised areas centrally, honouring the West Link’s role in removing through-traffic.
- Road crossings that prioritise pedestrians over cars.
- Segregated cycle paths from the city centre to key residential areas, with a range of approaches suitable for the routes, to allow safe cycling in and out of town for any age cyclists.
- More cycle parking infrastructure centrally and in strategic places.
- Consolidated public transport links.
- Benches that promote social interaction around pedestrianised areas.
- Easy routes in and out of green outdoors spaces.
Events that bring the community together
- Road closures or dead-ends to allow safe play in the streets in residential areas.
- Joint campaign with pedestrians, cyclists and drivers around safe and respectful road use.
- Intergenerational activities in outdoors spaces.
What do we commit to undertaking?
– Campaign: non whingey, positive, imaginative but realistic approach
– Plan: inclusive, fun, friendly, occasionally daft, always thought provoking active events
– Collaborate: let’s balance our needs together, walkers, cyclists and drivers!
– Inform: evidence-based, with local knowledge and expertise.
Join the campaign http://ownyourstreetinverness.org
Now is the time! Cycling Scotland have opened a further round of funding, for up to £25,000 per employer. In Inverness we have already seen how easy it is to do… Seven shelters have gone up across GP surgeries in Inverness thanks to this fund from the last funding round. Cycling Scotland are really helpful, …
There were many Own Your Streeters attending the Public Consultation on the A82 last week. A palpable sense of disappointment at how timid the proposals are – a token gesture to improvement rather than a definitive commitment. This is perhaps understandable in that these proposals were coming from BEAR Scotland whose chief interest is ensuring …
All agreed that this summer hasn’t quite been the usual weather. It’s been lovely to see so many Invernesians out and about by foot or bike or scooter or skateboard. Wednesday 15th August is the date to leave the car at home for Cycle To Work Day. A yearly event, there are prizes to be …
We’d love to hear from you. Email us at email@example.com or use our form below: