Who are we?
We are a grassroots campaign that aims to be a sensible, realistic, positive voice for Inverness active travel (walking, cycling, non-motorised and public transport).
What do we want?
We want to encourage local decision-makers to make the brave and bold changes that are needed to turn Inverness into a better and safer place to walk, cycle, roll or stroll, regardless of age, income or ability.
We want to help turn Inverness into a beacon city where a fair community, the environment and our legacy to the next generation are what matter to us.
What might that look like?
Better city infrastructure for walking and cycling
- More pedestrianised areas centrally, honouring the West Link’s role in removing through-traffic.
- Road crossings that prioritise pedestrians over cars.
- Segregated cycle paths from the city centre to key residential areas, with a range of approaches suitable for the routes, to allow safe cycling in and out of town for any age cyclists.
- More cycle parking infrastructure centrally and in strategic places.
- Consolidated public transport links.
- Benches that promote social interaction around pedestrianised areas.
- Easy routes in and out of green outdoors spaces.
Events that bring the community together
- Road closures or dead-ends to allow safe play in the streets in residential areas.
- Joint campaign with pedestrians, cyclists and drivers around safe and respectful road use.
- Intergenerational activities in outdoors spaces.
What do we commit to undertaking?
– Campaign: non whingey, positive, imaginative but realistic approach
– Plan: inclusive, fun, friendly, occasionally daft, always thought provoking active events
– Collaborate: let’s balance our needs together, walkers, cyclists and drivers!
– Inform: evidence-based, with local knowledge and expertise.
Join the campaign http://ownyourstreetinverness.org